It has been crazy busy in my world but at this time of year, somehow I always find time for my garden! Last week-end I got the raised beds set up by topping up with fresh compost and worm castings, and putting the strings in place for square foot gardening. This week I got many of my seeds in and then last night after supper (isn't it nice to be able to spend time outside after supper!?!?!) I put the plastic over my boxes to make mini-hoop houses. Bring on spring!
If you're interested, here is how I built the hoops and then I attached the plastic with clips from Canadian Tire. Here's a close-up:
Are you gardening this week-end? Other things I expect to be doing over the next few days are finishing cutting down last year's perennials and getting ready for a new back fence to be built next week. Oh, and perhaps a little plant shopping. ;-)
What are you up to? You may find these resources useful:
- My April 2012 garden to-do list (we are WAAAAAAAAAY behind last year so this list is still appropriate for this week-end!!)
- spring garden clean-up tips
- Vegetable gardening in Calgary 101, which includes notes about raised beds and square foot gardening, and
- When to plant vegetable seeds in Calgary, which is one of my most popular posts.
- preparing and amending vegetable garden soil
- excellent resource on northern vegetable gardening