I am putting together a set of links to some of my previous posts related to starting a new vegetable garden. I was originally just going to e-mail them to a client who is planning a new raised bed front yard vegetable garden, but then I figured others might find them useful too. So here it is, the minimum required reading if you're new to vegetable gardening in Calgary:
- What you need to know about building raised bed vegetable gardens - this post includes the basics of how and why, plus some links at the end to some very inspiring designs.
- Vegetable gardening tips - notes from Square Foot Gardening - this post gets into a little more detail regarding planting including very useful information on plant spacing (an important factor for success!)
- When can I start planting vegetable seeds in Calgary? - this post has been one of my most popular ever. Modified from a chart in the Calgary Gardener book, this post is all about timing (an even more important factor for success!)
- My seed-starting setup - This post describes what I do to start seeds, and the how and why of it all. But if you're new to vegetable gardening, don't be intimidated! Check the when-to-start link above and remember that anything that can be direct-seeded outside does not have to be started early (inside) with any kind of extra equipment! Direct-seeding outside is probably the easiest option in terms of work as long as you don't overseed (you'll have to thin later) and as long as you keep those seeds moist until they germinate.
- Cold frame inspiration - I don't have cold frames (yet...) but they're great for extending the season if you're really serious about maximizing your production. They could be as simple as a movable wooden frame with some plastic resting on top that you can put away when not needed, or they could be a permanent structure like some of the ones shown in this post.
Most of the posts above also have links to other posts - my own and others' as well. So do a little research, a little planning, and be creative and have fun with your vegetable garden this year!
If you would like a beautiful and successful vegetable garden that nourishes your body and soul, view My Services for consultation details.