I'm a couple days behind on this one but for the record, here's what's happening with my seeds:
Started March 5:
- dianthus and snapdragons are up, I just trimmed the snapdragons back to promote branching and bushier plants
- got one potentilla plant, and it's growing slowly
Started March 20:
- nictotiana sylvestris, salvia marble arch, castor bean, lychnis and amaranthus all up and growing
- no sign of verbena bonariensis, cleome and sidalcea (but these are all slower-growing and older seeds so I've not quite given up on them...)
Started March 27:
- I finally got around to sowing my tomato seeds but never reported it. This year I planted some fairly old, leftover seeds and am very happy to report that I've had almost 100% germination. This year I'm growing 'subarctic plenty', 'sugary', 'siberia', 'centennial rocket', 'sweet baby girl', and 'sweet gold'. These are all fairly short-season varieties and have done well for me in Calgary.
Started April 6:
- annual ornamental grasses from William Moore Farms: flax, starburst millet, blackbearded wheat, safflower, oat grass and canary seed. Note: these would be great for kids to plant because they have large, interesting seeds and grow quickly (3 days later and the wheat, millet, safflower are already up!). These could also be direct-sown outside and I just may do that as well in May.